Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Theatre in the Red Chamber

Margaret Wente quips about Harper's spurious Senate appointments:

So can't you find a Senate seat for me, too? If Mike Duffy and Pamela Wallin can be senators, then surely there is room for me. Like them, I am a lifelong hack.

Seriously, you can't deny that I have what it takes to be a first-class senator. I am accustomed to being underworked and overpaid, and I am able to emit hot air on any subject on demand. Ask Duff. I've been on his show lots of times. He'll tell you I have glib and superficial opinions about everything, especially things I know nothing about.
This is very much the political reality in Canada. During a time when inventive political leadership could be most beneficial (the sky is indeed falling), theatrics and gamesmanship is the number one priority of our leaders. As long as Harper remains leader, the threat of his insidious attacks on the plurality of Canadian politics will continue to breed hostility, umbrage and vindictiveness on both sides of the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment